The analysis presented in this white paper reveals the value of Microsoft Software Assurance for Volume Licensing in helping customers reduce and better predict the costs of licensing Microsoft products, and improve the capabilities of their workforce.
Also view the multimedia version online.
This Yankee Group Report details the new deployment planning services and application virtualization licenses available for Microsoft Software Assurance and examines the impact of these services on businesses. It also details how the inclusion of these services within Software Assurance can enable companies to lower their TCO and achieve accelerated and optimal return on investment (ROI).
Microsoft Simplifies Its Volume Licensing: Most Companies with Select Agreements Will Benefit by Upgrading to Select Plus
According to this Forrester Research report, "The simpler legal structure and streamlined procurement process make Select Plus a good choice for enterprises that want to receive the full economies of their scale yet retain flexibility for individual business unit buying decisions."
Plus – Some of the additional benefits of having SA
Ability to buy “Step-Up” Licenses without having to re-buy a new license
- You may migrate from the standard edition to a premium edition of certain products with a Step-Up License for the cost between the L&SA of the std to the premium offering, you do not have to re-buy at the full cost of the premium license
- You must have a license with active upgrade protection coverage for the qualifying product in order to acquire a Step-Up License.
- The Step-Up License must be acquired, and is valid only when acquired, under the Enterprise or Select enrolment or the Open Value Agreement under which upgrade protection coverage for the qualifying product was originally acquired.
- Your right to the use of this software under a Step-Up license is conditioned on having and retaining a License for the qualifying product.
- You cannot transfer the License for the qualifying product separately from the Step-Up license.
- Your perpetual rights under the Step-Up License supersede and replace the underlying license for the qualifying product.
More details in the brief HERE
Ability to buy “VECD” – Virtual Enterprise Centralised Desktop for SA
Windows Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop for Software Assurance is the version of Windows designed to help medium and large size organizations deploy Windows using virtualization technology in a network-centralized deployment architecture.
- Windows Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop (VECD) for Software Assurance is an optional purchase available only to those customers who have Windows Software Assurance coverage.
- Eligible customers may acquire VECD for SA for any Windows desktop with active Software Assurance coverage.
- VECD for SA must be acquired under the same Select or Enterprise or Campus and School Enrolment or Open Value agreement as the corresponding Software Assurance coverage.
- The VECD for SA subscription provides customers the right to run the latest version of the Windows desktop operating system made available during the term of their SA coverage.
- You may move Windows Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop from the licensed device to another licensed device with active Software Assurance coverage acquired under the same Select or Enterprise or Campus and School enrolment or Open Value agreement.
- You may reassign the Software Assurance coverage corresponding to a VECD for SA license to a replacement device, as permitted under their license agreement, the right to use VECD for SA will apply to that new device.
More details in the brief HERE
Ability to buy “MDOP” – Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack
Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance (MDOP) is an optional purchase available only to those customers who have Software Assurance on their Windows Desktop. Therefore, customers must have Windows SA coverage for each desktop for which the subscription is licensed.