With version 4.0, packaging has changed significantly. Dynamics CRM is now available in the following editions:
- · Dynamics CRM 4.0 Enterprise Server
- · Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional Server
- · Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup Server
The Enterprise and Professional editions are covered in the server/CAL section of the January 2008 edition of Product Use Rights (PUR).
Two types of Client Access License (CAL) CALs are available:
- · base CAL called “Dynamics CRM 4.0 Limited CAL”, which only provides read access to CRM data
- · additive CAL called “Dynamics CRM 4.0 Full Use Additive CAL”, which adds the right to change or write data.
Did you know: CRM 3.0 CALs were only available as User CALs. Version 4.0 offers a choice between User CALs and Device CALs.
Two External Connector licenses are available:
- · Dynamics CRM 4.0 Limited External Connector
- · Dynamics CRM 4.0 Full Use Additive External Connector (note the word “Additive”: this license must be added to the previous one if write and change rights are needed for external users).
Did you know – CRM Workgroup is limited to five named users and requires only a Server License, NO CALs
Did you know – customers can obtain a step-up license from Workgroup if they want to migrate to the Professional Edition.
Software Assurance customers will follow the migration scenarios for customers covered in the Product List.
Current license, covered by SA on January 1st, 2008
 The Product List doesn’t distinguish between the CRM 3.0 Professional CAL and the CRM 3.0 Small Business CAL.
CRM 4.0 and Volume License Keys
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 license keys for products obtained in Volume Licensing are embedded in media — the keys do not appear on MVLS as they do for some products; nor are they printed on the media itself (DVD) or on the media sleeve. The physical media and the downloads from MVLS/VLSC both will contain the license key in a text file, so Customers may either download the product or order the physical media and simply install it – the install will look for the license key file in either case.
If you started with a TRIAL version, and are using a TRIAL key, the only reason you would need to look for a license key is if you do not want to reinstall the product over the TRIAL, in which case the license key file in the download files or on the media and enter the key into the license manager.
For Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 media obtained through the Dynamics ERP product price list/Business Ready Licensing, keys ARE NOT embedded in the media, and must be obtained from the Dynamics CRM Partner
Excellent breakdown by Simon on Were to find CRM Keys by Channel here